Monday, January 7, 2013

Cheap Thrills - Bird Watching and Thrift Store Finds


Saturday was a shopping day filled with trips to the grocery store and a stop at Salvation Army.  I found a brand new never been worn pair of shoes for $3.25.  Score!  I also bought a pink turtleneck for $5.25 not shown as it is in the laundry.

Salvation Army find $3.25

A solution to the 8kg of rice I bought last month.  This cookie jar fits perfectly on one of the shelves in our pantry and holds about 3kg of rice at a time.  I will store the rest of the rice elsewhere.  Great price at $2.25.

Salvation Army Find $2.25
When Mom was here for New Years we did a little bird watching finding two eagles sitting by the Ocean right over the main road.  It was a grey day but there were lots of birds about.  These are immature Bald Eagles and they will change colour shortly getting their white heads soon.  They are extremely large as each one is about a foot and a half high.
Immature Bald Eagles
This little bird was trying his best to ignore me.  I took about ten pictures of him and in all he was pointing his butt at me....maybe sending a message?

Leave me alone!

And that, my friends, is how I get my cheap thrills.



17 comments:

  1. Great Salvation Army scores!! Love your bird pics too! A couple years ago I was out on the island for a week (for work) and took tons of pics of the eagles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only seen more Eagles when I went to Alaska. They are so beautiful.

      Delete
  2. I do the same thing. It was thrifting that helped me shake the spending habit when I came home full time and left my job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely shop regular retail any more...thrift shopping equals financial freedom!

      Delete
  3. Eagles!!! So cool!!! We have a red tailed hawk in the neighborhood but I only saw it a couple of times. It's huge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when we can catch the Eagles hanging out. I think their head changes at about three years and they are huge by then!

    I have been looking for shoes like that whenever I'm in a thrift. Good score for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last week the same young eagles were hanging out with their whole family, seven eagles in a tree...but no camera. Still very cool to see.

      Delete
  5. Great bargains, specially the shoes!
    I have to admit to getting cheap thrills the same way then, I was admiring 4 kookaburras sitting in the tree out the front this morning. We often have other birds using the birdbaths (especially during this heatwave we've been having) and we get lots of free entertainment from watching them.
    Judy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So friend Judy, when are you starting a blog so I can see said Kookaburras??

      Delete
  6. Cheap thrills do it for me!
    I love the shoes and your solution to the rice problem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm all about the cheap thrills! :-) Nice finds at the thrift store!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice items, love that cookie jar.
    I always feel like I've won the lottery when I pick up a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - even better should I no longer need it for rice I have a great cookie jar!

      Delete
  9. Once you go thrift you never go back, you know that right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finds at the Salvation Army! :) The shoes look nice & comfy!! Love the bird photo... funny about it ignoring you! lol!!

    ReplyDelete