Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Little Thrift Store That Could

Earlier this week I visited two thift stores and came home empty handed with exception of two small taper candle holders for .30 cents that I needed after my last pair cracked.

Yesterday on the way back from picking up groceries I decided to stop of the smallest of Thrift Stores in my area.  Although very tiny I continue to find lots of goodies there.

Vintage Watercolor Unknown Artist

Japanese Lotus Shaped Bowls

Two Handcarved Masks

Vintage Myrtlewood Condiment Set



All of these were bought with the idea of reselling at my next flea market.  I always buy things that I would like to display in my own home.  Hubby immediately loved the Myrtlewood and the masks.   We are keeping the masks as they go with a small African themed area in our dining room.  The total bill for this shopping trip?  $8.80 Canadian.  

I have also converted hubby to buying thrift store clothing (a very long process) as yesterday he wanted a fleece jacket that he could use for working outside but nothing too nice in case it got wrecked.  I did not go with him as was in the middle of putting together a casserole but directed him to which thrift store had the best selection of mens clothing in our area.  He came home with a Northface fleece jacket and a brand new pair of mens shoes.  He cannot always buy his clothes there as wears a lot of suits and dress shirts that we purchase new for the business but for casual clothing he is now open to it.  He came home saying what a great store that was.  Ten years ago when I met him he was great at saving money on things like used vehicles but wouldn't be caught dead in a thrift store.   A major breakthrough and a great week of thrifting for both of us.

Linking up with Apron Thrift Girl's Thrift Share Mondays - check her out!

21 comments:

  1. I love the myrtlewood set! Great prices at your thrift store. I've been priced out of most of them here, but did find something lovely at the carboot this morning - it just needs a bit of TLC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding treasures at thrift stores - fun every time!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you did good..no make that GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your finds this week - the myrtlewood has such a nice grain and the watercolour is uniquely matted and framed! Michael enjoys thrift shopping thankfully. We have a really nice one just a block away so when we need something we check there first. There's NO thrift shop near us in PEI - perhaps an opportunity for us??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely an opportunity! Who doesn't love thrift stores!

      Delete
  4. You have got a good eye for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I try :) Trying to make a few more bucks for travelling.

      Delete
  5. I like the Myrtlewood set too. And I've never heard of that wood before so thank you! (As the daughter of a retired carpenter I've always appreciated the beauty of wood).

    Looking forward to hearing what you sell them on for!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently it is one of the rarer woods in the world. I hope to sell them cheaply as purchased them so cheaply so someone else can feel like they got a bargain too!

      Delete
  6. left coments on your previous posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bowls, but not so keen on the masks :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masks are not for everyone. We have two other larger masks, our decorating style is not vintage (although I love vintage hubby doesn't) but is definitely eclectic. A bit of this, a bit of that, some new, some old. I love antiques, hubby does not. If we put them up and dislike them I can always sell them :)

      Delete
  8. African masks are always a question of taste and variety is the spice of life right?
    I love the condiment set, it is very different from what I've seen before.

    You did amazingly well and I'm glad that your significant other is open to the notion of second hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not 100% sure it is a condiment dish but am guessing so. The three little containers and dish were being sold separately but they all came from the same company so I am calling them a set. Hubby even brags to the kids now about all my second hand clothing.

      Delete
  9. Great items you found an good prices. I love to shop thrift stores for my clothes. I just can't see paying lots of money for things if I don't have too...so my clothing budget is pretty darn low! Glad you husband is on board for casual clothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 99% of my wardrobe is now from a thrift store - spending way less too!

      Delete
  10. I LOVE the bowls!
    My husband was the one that got me to yard sale and thrift shop. But he was the one that was a huge spender when we first got together. It's a long process for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband makes a face when I buy him thrifted clothes, but he still wears them, so... haha. I don't think I'll ever get him behind thrifted shoes, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great finds! I'd love it if you'd jump over and link up at my "Go Get Your Garage Sale On" Linky Party, and share some of your great finds! http://www.brightgreendoor.com/2013/05/go-get-your-garage-sale-on-with.html

    ReplyDelete